At Beacon Power Services Limited (“we,” “our,” “us,” or “Beacon Power,” “the company”), we are committed to the protection of the personal data that you may provide us with. We will ensure that your data is collected and processed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations on data protection in Nigeria.
This Customer Privacy Notice (“the Notice”) outlines the forms of personal data we will collect from you as a customer of Beacon Power, the basis for processing your data, and your rights.
This notice shall apply to the treatment of the personal data of all customers who engage Beacon Power in the supply of its services.
The Information We Collect from You
At Beacon Power Services Limited (“we,” “our,” “us,” or “Beacon Power” or “the company”). We may receive, use, store, and transfer several forms of personal data about you, which may include the following:
Website Data: includes [first name, last name, email address, phone number].
Device data: [device name, IP Address, location]
Customer Data: includes [SLRN, Area, Physical Customer Address, Username, Account/Meter No, Building Owner Name, Consumer Name, Meter No, Phone Number, Email Address, Geo-Location]
Information from Other Sources
This is the information we receive about you if you use any other platforms we operate or the other services we provide. We may collect information, including non-public personal information, about you from third-party service providers when you open an account with us to verify your identity and for fraud prevention, including your prior addresses and names.
The Purpose for Which We May Use Your Data
We may use the information that we collect from you for any of the following purposes:
- to enable you to access our website and place an order for our services;
- to carry out our obligations arising from contracts of supply or any other contract entered between you and Beacon Power;
- to provide you with information regarding our services and products, news, and events in our company;
- to enable us to comply with legal obligations under laws, regulations, or judicial orders to which Beacon Power is subject.
- to enable the execution of obligations by third-party service providers;
- to protect your vital interests and that of other customers or other persons;
- to protect our interests or establish our defense in the event of legal action against us;
- to comply with the requirements of public authorities, law enforcement agencies, or national security agencies in connection with reporting or filing obligations, investigations, legal action, or reports involving you;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and to notify you about changes to our service;
- to assess the functionality of our website and conduct internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, research, and surveys;
- to evaluate the effectiveness of our advertising and to ensure the delivery of relevant advertising to you; and
- to make recommendations to you and other site users regarding goods or services you may be interested in.
- To perform an obligation in furtherance of public interest.
- In furtherance of any activity where you have given consent to share your personal data in that regard and have not withdrawn such consent
- Information we receive from other sources – We will combine this information with the information you give us and the information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
You agree that we have the right to share your personal information:
- with any of our affiliated companies;
- with third parties who may provide services for or on behalf of Beacon Power;
- with financial service providers, including the financial institutions identified in your cardholder bank agreement that provide banking services in connection with your account;
- with selected third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or our assets or alternatively, acquire all or parts of their businesses;
- in response to a request for information, if we are required by, or we believe disclosure is in accordance with, any applicable law, regulation or legal process; and
- With relevant law enforcement officials or other third parties, such as investigators or auditors, upon a legitimate request for your information or where we reasonably suspect any connection with fraud or any other crime.
Transfer to Third Parties
We may provide third parties with your personal information to complete a transaction. Such information may include your name, account identity, contact details, or such additional information required information for the transaction. We will put in place adequate measures to ensure the security of such personal information.
In the event that we transfer your personal information outside Nigeria, we will comply with the measures set out in the Nigeria Data Protection Act and other applicable laws and regulations on data protection. Beacon Power will ensure that your personal information is transmitted in a safe and secure manner. Details of the protection given when your personal information is transferred outside Nigeria will be provided to you upon request.
Changes in Personal Information
It is important that the personal data you provide us with is up-to-date and accurate. Where there is a change to personal data previously given or where you identify that any of our records of your personal data is inaccurate, you may request the rectification of such data. We may, however, seek to verify the accuracy of the updated or new data you provide.
Data Security and Retention
The security of your data is of paramount importance to us. Therefore, we employ strict measures and controls to ensure the security, confidentiality, and integrity of your personal data against foreseeable loss, destruction, or breaches.
Beacon Power is committed to managing your personal information in line with global industry best practices. We protect your personal information using physical, technical, and administrative security measures to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, and alteration. We also use industry-recommended security protocols to safeguard your personal information. Other security safeguards include but are not limited to data encryption, firewalls, and physical access controls to our premises and files and only granting access to Personal Information to only employees who require it to fulfill their job responsibilities.
We will retain your data for as long as is necessary for the purpose of processing, after which it shall be retained for as long as the law requires. Where the retention of any of your data is no longer necessary by us or under the provisions of the law, we will erase such data from our database.
Your Legal Rights
In respect of the personal data that we collect about or receive from you, you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data in our database. You may request to receive a copy of any aspect of the personal data we hold about you and check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of your personal data in our database. You may request that any incomplete, outdated, or inaccurate data we hold about you be corrected or updated. However, we may seek to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide.
- Confirm the purpose for which we process your personal data, the period of retention, and the persons to whom your data will be disclosed.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. You may request that we suspend the processing of your personal data where:
- You seek to establish the data’s accuracy.
- You are of the opinion that the use of the data is unlawful.
- Where you require the data to be kept with us, even if we no longer require it, but not processed, pending your establishment, exercise or defense of any legal claim.
- You have objected to our use of your data, but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to continue processing it.
- Object to the processing of your personal data by Beacon Power, where you believe that the processing of your personal data by us is against your fundamental rights or freedoms. You may also choose to object to where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. However, note that we may demonstrate that such processing of your data is in the public interest or based on other legitimate grounds which override your rights and freedoms. Where this is done, we will not discontinue the processing of your personal data and will inform you accordingly.
- Request the erasure of your personal data from our database. You may request for the deletion or removal of any aspect of your personal data where there is no valid or lawful reason for us to continue processing it. You may also make a request for the erasure of your personal data upon a successful objection to the processing of your data. However, where there is an overriding interest or lawful basis for the retention of your personal data, we will not accede to your request and inform you accordingly at the time of your request.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. You have the right to request the transfer of your personal data to you or a third party you indicate in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format.
- Make a complaint to the regulatory authority upon breach. You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC), the Nigerian supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ndpb.gov.ng). However, we urge you to inform us of your complaints or concerns and give us an opportunity for us to address them before contacting the NPDC.
Changes to This Notice
We may occasionally review the terms of this Notice without notifying you. However, in the event of an update or change to the notice, we will display a conspicuous notice on our website and provide the updated notice for ease of reference.
Kindly check our website regularly for updates to this Notice.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding this privacy notice or wish to exercise any of your rights under this notice, kindly contact our data protection office using the details below:
Name: BPS Data Privacy Services
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org